Monday, January 5, 2015

So, what do you eat?

I get asked that a lot. Let me just start out by saying that the way I eat isn't for everyone. I avoid certain foods because of the effects they have on my body, specifically my thyroid. I urge you to keep a food journal and notate the way you feel each day in the journal to better understand how your individual body handles different foods. And, talk to your doctor for more specific advice. That being said, I'm gluten free, grain free, soy free, refined sugar free, artificial sugar free, and "mostly" dairy free. When I tell people that, I get looks of confusion as people try to figure out what's left to eat! The funny thing is that there are LOTS of foods I eat that are perfectly fine. They are REAL, WHOLE, foods. I also try to eat mostly organic and non-GMO foods, as much as our budget will allow. And, of course, healthy fats.

I eat a lot of veggies and some fruits. We have an organic produce delivery subscription, so we get a box of fresh organic veggies every week. The box is seasonal, so we don't know what's coming until a couple days before, and the company puts together the box, so you can't pick and choose. But, you can add on additional items based on availability. At first I was very apprehensive signing up because I have kids. I have one child in particular who is a picky eater. I thought for sure I was going to have an uproar of kids not wanting to eat this or that. It's actually been the opposite. My kids love "veggie day" and they all gather around as I unpack the box each week to see what's inside. My pickiest eater now loves parsnips and beets. Who would've thought? And, it's given us the chance to try (and fall in love with) new veggies that I would never have bought at the grocery store normally (like parsnips and beets).

I also eat meat, chicken, pork, eggs, and some fish. I could never live as a vegetarian. I just couldn't. I love my veggies, but I'm a meat eater for sure. I try to buy organic as much as our budget will allow. Healthy fats are also important around here. We use a lot of coconut oil, and some olive oil. We do NOT use refined sugar, white flour, or whole wheat flour in anything around here. In fact, you won't find any of those items in my house. If I'm making something and the recipe calls for sugar, I will either use coconut sugar, or honey if I can. If I'm baking, I use coconut flour or almond flour to bake, or a combination of the two. I absolutely love Danielle Walker. She's the author of some really great grain-free cookbooks like Meals Made Simple and Joyful. I've never found a recipe of hers that I didn't like, and my kids all love her recipes too. In fact, I have a group of friends that constantly beg me to make her chocolate chip cookies for them (they're dairy free, grain free, gluten free, and refined sugar free but taste like a "regular cookie").

We eat real food. We eat healthy food. But we eat good food. My main rule is that I don't care how healthy something is, if it tastes bad, I'm not eating it. And, my kids wouldn't eat it either. So, you can be assured that eating healthy can be simply delicious. Kids will follow your lead. If you refuse to eat your veggies, they will too. But, if you set a good example, and make meal time fun and exciting, you will not only be helping them health wise, but you are helping them to have a life long love of healthy foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment