Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Prep Ahead to save your sanity and your waistline


We are all busy When times gets away from us, it can be easy to let take-out become dinner far too often. One of the best ways to avoid having to go the take-out route is to prep ahead.

Our schedules just got insanely more busy in our house. We added a newborn daughter. So, we are now a family of 6  with kids ages 10, 5, almost 3, and 3 weeks old. There has been a ton of focus on our newborn daughter because her needs come first. But, there are still 5 other people in our house who need to eat, and healthy food is still a priority.

Yesterday was our organic veggie delivery. Usually I plan to make a stir fry or a stew the next day. But, chopping veggies takes a bit of time, especially when you're chopping a lot of them. We have appointments this afternoon that might run right up until dinner time. So, I knew it would be way too easy to make it a take-out night. To avoid that, while lunch was cooking, I chopped up all the veggies I need for tonight's dinner. I put them in a 6 qt Lock 'n Lock Container and in the fridge they went. When it's dinner time, all I have to do is brown my stew meat in coconut oil, and toss in my pre-cut veggies along with my beef broth and seasonings, and voila. Dinner will be ready tonight in under 30 minutes but will still be healthy and delicious.

Sanity and waistline saved! What are your tips for avoiding the take-out trap? Let me know in the comments section. I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment