Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Why drive everywhere? Get moving instead!



One of the best ways you can get in shape is to just add in extra bits of exercise here and there to your normal routine. A lot of people say they don't have time to devote to a long workout, but you can easily add in short bursts of exercise here and there and do some real good for your health and body. 

The picture above shows my day yesterday. We get a box of organic veggies delivered weekly. We pick up at a central location in our town. So, instead of driving to pick them up yesterday, I rode my tricycle to the pickup. That's #1 in the picture. The produce box fit nicely in the basket of my tricycle and added a little weight to my ride home (#2). Then later in the evening, I rode over to my personal trainer's house (#3) and worked out in small group personal training (#4) and then rode home (#5). 

I could have driven to pick up our produce, and I could have driven to training. But, doing it this way let me enjoy the beautiful weather (although we did have some gusty winds on the #3 ride). And, I got to enjoy the scenery more and burn a few extra calories too. I got in an extra 12.78 miles yesterday that I would not have logged if I was driving. 

When the weather is nice, I try to jog, walk, or ride anywhere I can to get in that little bit of extra exercise. My feeling is that if you're blessed with the physical ability to do so, you should get moving as much as you can. And, you save a little gas in your car and do something nice for the environment at the same time. 

Tell me how you plan to get moving this week. I'd love to hear how you add in extra exercise to your normal routine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment