Monday, April 27, 2015

Moderation or Elimination?


I'm sure you've heard the phrase "everything in moderation" when it comes to eating. But, there are also plenty of diet plans and so-called health gurus that stress eliminating certain foods and food groups all together. So, which is it? Should you practice moderation or elimination?

Elimination: This is when you cut out a certain food or group of foods forever (or as close to forever as you can humanly manage). Some common foods that people eliminate are carbs, grains, dairy, high glycemic foods, sugar, artificial sugar, nuts, legumes, fruits, gluten, soy, etc.

Moderation: This means that you generally try to stay away from certain foods and food groups, but you're not going to die if you eat a slice of cake at a birthday party, or there's cheese on your gluten free pizza.

OK, so here's my take on elimination vs. moderation. First of all, you need to know what you're putting in your body. So, that means you read labels, you journal your foods, and you keep track of how you feel when you eat X,Y, or Z. With that being said, elimination should only be practiced if you have a specific food allergy or intolerance. If you are allergic to dairy, then ELIMINATE it. If you have celiac disease, then ELIMINATE gluten. If you are like me and your autoimmune disease is triggered by certain foods (like grains) then ELIMINATE those foods. But, if you are just on the latest fad diet and trying to keep up, then elimination is NOT for you.

Elimination is difficult. Let me repeat that: Elimination is difficult. Even if you have amazing will power, unless you live in a controlled bubble and never eat out or let anyone else prepare your food (like at a birthday party), you can't realistically eliminate foods in their entirety. Some gluten will sneak in,  a splash of milk will be added to a sauce somewhere, sugar will be a hidden ingredient in a restaurant, the dressing will contain soy, etc. I'm not saying that you should give up eliminating certain things from your diet if you have a medical NEED to do so. But, I am saying that you can't expect it to be easy.

For me personally, I strive to be gluten free, grain free, soy free, refined sugar free, and mostly dairy free (cheese happens LOL). But, I also know that when we eat out that's near impossible. I know that there are times when my kids will eat something that I try to avoid and I'll end up eating their leftovers. I also know that organic tortilla chips are incredibly addicting and my one major weakness. But, I also know that to the best of my knowledge, I'm not ALLERGIC to the things I try to avoid. I do, however, have Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism (an autoimmune disease) and avoiding these things makes a huge difference in how I feel and how my thyroid is controlled. So, if I eat grains, I notice the difference in the way I feel. I become more tired, I have intestinal issues, and I am even prone to breakouts. But, I'm also human and sometimes a girl just needs a bowl of chips!

So, unless you're dealing with a specific medical need to eliminate certain foods, I'd advise you to practice moderation. Moderation is much more realistic for most people. Moderation is much easier to maintain over time, and therefore, will keep you on track with your health and fitness goals in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment