Wednesday, March 4, 2015

It's OK to take a day or two off every now and then


You've gotten into a good groove with your workouts. you've got a nice schedule and know when you're going to exercise. You're eating right. You're motivated. But then something comes up that doesn't fit into your workout schedule. What do you do?

It's perfectly OK to take a day or two off from working out every once in a while. It's not the end of the world. It won't stall your progress. And, it's good to have that mental break every now and then. And, sometimes your body needs a break too.

For me, that break came yesterday. I got an email that Wheel of Fortune was having tryouts. It's been a dream of mine for many years to get on that show. But, the auditions were at the same time as my small group personal training class. So, I had a dilemma on my hands. Do I skip my workout and go chase my dream of being on this fantastic game show? Or, do I stay and workout and miss the opportunity of a lifetime? If I skip my workout, am I going to get off track? Am I going to make up the workout on another day? Or is skipping that workout going to be the thing that breaks me? If you can honestly say that skipping that one workout isn't going to derail you, it isn't going to make you quit and give up, and you will make up that workout later, then you can skip it. But, if you think there's even a chance that skipping that workout will derail your progress, you can't afford to miss it.

I know I'm on track. I know I'm not going to miss one workout and suddenly become a couch potato. And, I also know that I really want to be on Wheel of Fortune! So, I went to the auditions. I was lucky enough to have two friends join me (one of them also skipped the same workout with me), and we took our chances with the hopes of getting on the show. In the end, we didn't get picked to go up on stage to audition. But, we still have that chance that we can get picked from the applications we submitted yesterday. And, we had a lot of fun too. A mental break can be good for the soul, and the body. So, if you trust yourself to take one on occasion, please do so. Just make sure you get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment