Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Set S.M.A.R.T. goals


It's that time of year again. The time when most people set their New Year's Resolutions. Goals are great. We all have goals. Some goals may be easier to imagine reaching than others. New Year's Resolutions can be controversial. Statistically, most people don't end up doing whatever they set out to do in their New Year's Resolution. That's likely because it's not taken seriously. New Year's Resolutions have become a joke. Comedians talk about them, television shows joke about them, internet memes go viral about them. I suggest skipping the alcohol induced resolutions altogether. Instead, set S.M.A.R.T. goals, and set a new one each time you reach your previous goal.

What is a S.M.A.R.T. goal?
S: Specific
M: Measurable
A: Attainable
R: Realistic
T: Time-based

For instance, "I want to lose weight" doesn't fit into the criteria of a S.M.A.R.T. goal. Instead, make a goal like "I want to lose 10 pounds within the next 3 months." That's specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time based. Then, once you reach that goal, set a new goal that follows the same criteria. Goals don't have to be based on the scale. You can set a goal to do a certain number of push-ups in a row, or to be able to do a pull-up, or to run a certain distance without stopping for a walk break, etc. Think about something related to health and fitness that you want to achieve, set the goal in a S.M.A.R.T. way and get to work.

Of course, I set goals to lose weight, but I set them 10 or 20 pounds at a time, knowing that I eventually wanted to lose at least 100 pounds. But, if you think about the large amount you want to lose instead of the smaller steps to get there, it can get overwhelming and discouraging.

Once you decide what your goal is, tell other people. It's much easier to give up if you're the only one who knows you set the goal in the first place. Share your goals with family and friends. Share it on Facebook or Twitter. Ask your friends to help keep you accountable. Most people will be happy to encourage you along the way, and you might end up inspiring others too.

I also suggest rewarding yourself each time you hit a goal. But, don't reward yourself with food. You're not a dog, and you're worth more than that. I rewarded myself with things like getting my nails done, getting my hair done, buying new clothes, etc. When I hit 100 pounds lost, my reward was a Dooney & Bourke purse. It was a big goal for me, and it deserved a big reward.

What are your goals? I'd love to see your comments with the goals you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment