Saturday, December 27, 2014

I want to lose weight, I NEED to lose weight. But where do I begin?

This is a question I'm asked so often. It's a question I asked myself and others too. The truth is that there's no one size fits all plan for everyone. You need to find an exercise routine that works for you. The most important thing is to do something you like, and something you can commit to doing without giving up. But just start somewhere.

For me, I wanted to do a particular workout video I'd seen on the infomercials. But I was so fat at the time, I knew I would probably pass out and die if I tried it. So, I knew I had to work my way up to the type of high intensity workout I wanted to eventually do.

Make sure you check with your doctor before you start any kind of exercise program.

I started with the basics. I kept a notepad on my mantle in the living room. On the notepad, I'd write at least 5 exercises to do that day. My goal at first was to do 100 of each exercise throughout the day between about 7 AM and 2 PM. I'd pick things like squats, lunges, jumping jacks, push ups (on my knees at first), chair dips, crunches, burpees, mountain climbers, etc. I'd do them 5 or 10 at a time and I kept tally marks on the notepad as I completed each set. If I got to the 100 reps of each exercise early, I'd do as many more as I could before 2 PM. All of this was done with my 3 kids underfoot. When you do exercises 5 or 10 at a time, it really doesn't take that long to do. But it can get you moving and get your heart rate up, burn calories, and get your mindset in the right place.

This was how I lost the first 47 pounds. I lost that weight without a gym, without any equipment, without spending any money, without a trainer, and without any free time. After all, I'm a busy mom, I don't have free time. But I can make time for a few minutes at a time to do 10 squats or 10 burpees, etc. Small changes add up quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment